SQF: Char-Xu

Saturday, October 2, 2010

19 OCTOBER 2010. The moment I popped open the lid of my bottle of char siu sauce, I knew at once that we were going to have a fantastic lunch.


Chinese barbecue sauce "char siu"


Char siu sauce is my latest discovery. It's a Chinese barbecue sauce which is quite common in Chinese restaurant dishes, usually with pork or chicken. It can be used as a sauce, added a marinade or basted while grilling meat.


I planned ahead that I will make fried rice. It's only me and dad at home. Hubby-to-be, a rice monster, was on his way and would be joining us shortly. Mom and little bro are already out of the house, and we'll meet them in Makati after lunch.


Having a recent meal at Mongolian Quick-Stop in mind, I derived my favorite ingredients and pulled out cucumbers and tomatoes from the fridge. I also borrowed some carrots from mom's stock. I still have chicken breast and a piece of chorizo. And of course, the usual suspects for stir frys: garlic and onions. And my newly opened jar of char siu sauce.


Ready!


Chili garlic sauce has been a trusted friend when it comes to fried rice, but this time I skipped it in favor of siling labuyo. I only put two pieces, sliced, but the effect was immediately recognizable. It enhanced and "heated up" the barbecue taste.


The ingredients make for a deliciously colorful dish.

I served dad and hubby-to-be a plate each. We were supposed to eat light, as we were going to a birthday party. But they went for seconds.


Their only request. Make it spicier! Next time, I'll double the labuyo. XD


I had some leftovers, which I packed for baon the next morning. Sarap!


Char-Sue: Spicy Barbecue Fried Rice


Spicy Barbecue Fried Rice (ala Renn Xu)
As always, no exact measurements! Hehehe
4-6 cups of leftover rice (or as much as you like)
1 head garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced finely
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 Chinese chorizo, diced (can be optional)
Char siu sauce + water
1 cucumber, diced
1 carrot, julienned
2 pcs (or more, if you want it hotter) bird's eye chili (siling labuyo), sliced
Peppermill (or just pepper) and salt to taste
Sesame oil (can be optional)


*BB*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Beginner's Bible Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino