WCS: Good morning! =)

Saturday, July 31, 2010

2010 JULY 29 to 30. Nothing beats a filling breakfast. Although I still personally consider lunch as my most important meal, I attest how having breakfast before leaving the house does make a difference.


But whipping up a nice breakfast for little bro and myself is a particularly big challenge, as I always maximize the hours of sleep I can get (currently with Queen Seon Deok eternally forcing me to keep awake until almost midnight). We usually end up with crackers or sometimes nothing at all.


The weekend before, I attended a great weekend-long seminar, or "careshop" it was called. The careshop made me realize, among many other helpful things, that I haven't been taking very good care of myself. I've been letting myself wander off to face the day without taking time to see if I'm OK. Last month, I was sick for almost three weeks. One thing that I promised to do for myself is make sure I always have a nice meal. I hit two birds with one stone with this: I get to practice cooking in "real time", and I do something good for my own health.


When I was on my way home from the second day of the careshop it was raining. Umbrellas moved frantically across the streets. I felt how nice it would be to have a hot bowl of sopas the next morning. I had ingredients on hand at home.


I suddenly had an idea. Why not make the dish two-step? Meaning, I start the recipe that evening (just the soup) and put it in the refrigerator, then cook the pasta the next morning. And that's just what I did. I spent the night in the kitchen (I didn't do my careshop assignment, hehehe). The next morning, while waiting for my driver who will take me to Quezon City, I finished the soup recipe and made more than enough for my driver and the three people I'll be leaving at home. My aunt and nephew, who visited later that day, even got to have some of the soup.


The week after, I decided to cook the same thing again. However, we did not have evaporated milk, so I used all-purpose cream. Either way resulted in a delicious soup. The difference was with evap, there was this faintly sweet milky taste, and with cream, the texture was almost like pasta white sauce, so you may want to add more water (or chicken stock) to make the soup less thick. I had a bit of leftover frozen mixed vegetables. On a sudden whim, I dunked them in.


I did the soup the night before while having dinner.
Mom didn't realize I didn't eat much dinner. Hehehe!


The second step--cooking the macaroni--I did the next morning while little bro was in the bath.


One of the pasta brands I love. Cheap but delicious.


Doing the dish two-step gave me enough time to fix myself up. Even take pictures around our kitchen. Hahaha!


We're not Lock & Lock addicts, are we? Those are mostly mine,
except the bigger ones.

Mom bought a nice kitchen bookstand.
She also bought an extra piece for my future house.


Breakfast was ready even before little bro finished ironing his polo shirt. Even his cup of coffee was ready for him. =)


Good morning!


"Good Morning" Chicken Noodle Soup
Serves 4 or more
Variation 1
1-2 cups macaroni pasta, cooked according to package instructions, set aside/chill
oil (regular cooking or olive oil)
half a head of garlic, minced
cooked chicken breast, shredded (saute this with the garlic, then add the rest of the ingredients to make the soup)
1-2 cups (or as needed) chicken stock or water
half a pack of powdered cream of mushroom, diluted in water
half a small can evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt (almost did not use any) and pepper (used around 1 teaspoon) to taste


Variation 2
Same ingredients as variation 1, but in place of evap, use All Purpose Cream
1/2 to 1 cup frozen or "takal-takal" mixed vegetables (carrots, green peas, corn kernels)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano


Note: all measurements are approximate quantities only. Go ahead and do it your way! =)


*BB*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Beginner's Bible Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino